Friday, July 31, 2015

Shake it Baby! August Flying Unicorn Shaker Card Tutorial and Challenge



 Shake it baby!  Challenge ( Shaker cards that is)

I am in love with shaker cards.  They are trendy.  They are hot.  They are oh so fun to  make and shake. You can fill them with any small item that fits into the card.  
The Kaisercraft papers that came in August's Your Passion Your Art provide a lot of beautiful card options.  BUT remember you can use anything you want from your stash as well.  We do not limit you here at the Unicorns. 
 You can find the challenge right here

My card is filled with an assortment of microbeads and a few accent sequins.  You can fill yours with sand, beads, sequins, mica, anything. 

Let's start with some close ups: 




Simple Instructions for my card:

Step 1.  I grabbed the Kaisercraft  journal card that came in the August kit.  I used a circle die to make the circle size I needed.  
Step 2.   I used some acrylic from a package but you can use a sheet of acrylic.  I glued it to my journal card to act as the shaker window. 
Step 3.   Time to add some thickness to the card.  You can do this with foam tape, cardboard,  inexpensive foam craft sheets ( that's what I used).  

I pulled out my circle die once again as a template, however I used the next size bigger than the circle I used on the window.  I traced it onto the foam so I would know where I needed to cut.  Your foam circle needs to be slightly larger than your circle window.  

Glue the foam right on top of the acrylic window.  Pretend the window in this photo below is clear - I added a piece of patterned paper to it so it would show up better in a photo. 
Step 4.   Add beads, sequins. 


Step 5.   Stamp a sentiment on a piece of cardstock and glue over the window to cover it up and act as the back of the card. 


Soooooooo give it a shake.  I have a simple tutorial below to assist in your shaky project.  You can make any style shaker you want. Dazzle me!
 The Prize is a surprise....



The Rules:

01. You have one week to create your project using the sketch as an inspiration (it does not have to be a layout, it can be a card, tag etc).

02. You must post your creation into the Mojo Monday thread in order to be eligible for the RAK .

03. You may use your project for any other monthly forum challenges except for the 'Anything Goes Challenge' or Use Your Stash Challenge

04. Your project must be posted no later than 8:00pm on 08/31/2015 to be eligible for the surprise RAK



*Please remember that your supplies do not have to come from the store to participate in any of our challenges! Flying Unicorn Forums is a place to share, learn, form friendships, and have too much fun with us!*

5 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite shaker card to date - so bright and cheerful. I love the idea of putting micro beads into the shaker - genius! Hugs - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fan of the shaker cards and absolutely love yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty shaker card, Jen! I've never made one and didn't really know what they were until a few weeks ago. Just love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, please come give it a try and enter the challenge at the Flying Unicorns. You'll be hooked.

      Delete
  4. Oh my GOSH! This is the most beautiful shaker card EVER! I pinned! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415386765609267000/

    ReplyDelete